Top performing college students that have demonstrated a commitment to their Auxiliary service and to the Coast Guard's core values may apply to a Coast Guard internship. Students work under the guidance of experienced professionals and an academic advisor from their school. They may be eligible to earn college credit for their experience, depending on the policies of the individual school. All currently currently-enrolled AUP students that have achieved AUP Senior status may complete an internship.
Before the Internship
- Familiarize yourself with the AUP Internship Guide.
- Submit the online Internship Application.
- The internship coordinator will contact you to discuss assignment options.
- Once assigned, contact your Internship Supervisor to arrange start date, location, uniform of the day, orders, and other details discussed in the AUP Internship Guide.
- Arrange travel, lodging, proper uniform, and other personal details.
During the Internship
- Report for the internship at the designated location, date, and time agreed to with your Internship Supervisor.
- Fill out the Internship Check Sheet (found at the end of the AUP Internship Guide) with your supervisor.
- Keep accurate records of your experience in both the Internship Check Sheet and AUXDATA.
- Prepare a midway evaluation using proper Coast Guard Auxiliary AUP memo format.
After the Internship
- Finalize the Internship Check Sheet with your supervisor.
- Participate in final personnel check out procedures at the internship site.
- Send a thank you note to your supervisor.
- Submit the completed Internship Check Sheet, After Action Report using proper Coast Guard Auxiliary AUP memo format, and any attachments.
- Submit a Help Desk Ticket with total number of internship hours.